Elimination Diet??? and sugar…..and a plea for your suggestions/tips! :)
I realize now that sugar definitely affects me….. a lot. I knew I would be going on an elimination diet soon and I wouldn’t be eating dairy/sugar for a long long time if not ever again, I decided to be really bad..and..well, ordered a reese’s pb/chocolate ice cream with chocolate cake etc.and it tasted good at first and then it didn’t taste so great anymore…because I realized my tastes have changed…and I don’t even like that stuff anymore really…and I, almost immediately, felt sick to my stomach also and got a headache…and then I also was craving more sugar….even though I felt sick! Ugh! I’m so ready for the elimination diet info and to get started on this! I’m planning on following the elimination diet from www.nourishingmeals.com, specifically http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2010/01/elimination-and-detoxification-diet-its.html
I’m just waiting very impatiently for the cookbook to arrive that I ordered today. Has anyone else done the elimination diet from them or a similar one?
I’m sure it’ll be challenging and a lot of the phase one foods I am going to have to remove because I know I have possible issues with them too….so this will be interesting….to say the least! I like all of these foods…but they don’t like me…I’ll have to wait to test them later…
- I know I have huge issues with sugar (even maple syrup, honey, agave, etc, and possibly stevia???—stevia…I still overeat sometimes??)
- I’ve had issues with spinach everytime I’ve tried it…I keep wanting to eat it…but I always have problems
- Onions, and possibly garlic are also no-no’s for me…..
- I’ve had problems with apples, especially apple peels in the past….been doing ok with it though….not sure what I am going to do about that…..
- Broccoli and calliflower (especially broccoli) both bother me.
So it looks like….I’ll be living off of…umm……let’s see….umm… ORGANIC EVERYTHING…hopefully…..as though I’m always wary of that….b/c it is so expensive….Ali says that “
And besides organic? what exactly will I be eating?
Well, the first two days are supposed to be exclusively a green smoothie cleanse. I’m just not sure how exactly I’m going to do that….since…..1. I don’t own a vita mix….2. I don’t own a very powerful blender….3.My current blender will leave chunks of lettuce throughout my drink……yuck…..4. I don’t (and neither do my parents who I am staying with for the summer while I’m on “vacation” from school) have a lot of muhlah to cast out for a new one especially with having to buy the cookbook and the organic food……Any suggestions? We have juicer but that kinda ruins the purpose…..I think.
After that……I will be eating in phase one at least…. (or at least this is what is allowed from the list on their site):
1. Brown Rice/Wild Rice
2. Quinoa (I tried this once…but didn’t like it….I think I didn’t rinse it….so I’m hoping I’ll like it now)
3.Amarath—-if I can find it….I’ve never even seen that before
11. Berries (except strawberries)
14. Figs (dried or fresh)
16. Kale, collard greens (Are these the same thing? I’ve never had either…and wondering if I would have a reaction like spinach??)
17. Lettuce- I love Romaine (of late)
18. Dandelion greens (really??)
19. bok choy (what? I’ve never eaten this before)
20. Cabbage—can’t say I’m a fan…but hey, maybe I’ll develop new tastes!
22. Cilantro—um…no..I don’t like…
23.Sprouts (all types) but what does that mean? ??
24.Brussel sprouts (again, never had these before?) Worried that they might bother me…)
25.Beets (hmm…never had these except for canned and then even then….shall I meet a new favorite??)
26. Carrots (yeah! I’ve had problems with raw before though! should I leave out??)
27. Parsnips (I actually do know what these are…thank you, very much! I tried these a while back…yum!!)
28. Winter Squash (all types!) YEAH! Did you know butternut squash is my favorite food!!!??? And I’m a huge fan of spaghetti squash too…
29. Yams and sweet potatoes (yUm!!!)
30. Avocados (Yum…new found love last summer)
31. Ginger (ugh…not the hugest fan, but ok)
32. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds (and their butters…sound interesting…I’ll be for sure trying their butters at least…as I can’t live without some form of “nut”ish butter…..)
33. Pine Nuts (Can’t say I’ve really had these…they must not be really nuts…)
34. Mung and Adzuki beans (I’ve never heard of or eaten these…any suggestions?)
35. Lentils (my newfound love via last summer)
36. wakame,kombu, nori and seaweed and dulse flakes
(I’ve never heard of any of these really….I mean I’ve heard of seaweed but never really eaten any)
37. Fresh herbs??? (If’y on the is Ari’s body ok with this or not??? scale)
38. Coconut Milk (YEs! YUM)!
39. Dried Coconut (YES!!!)
40. Coconut Oil (YES!) and Olive Oil (ok…I haven’t developed a taste for this yet…I know, I know, I’m weird…)
41.Kudzu? What is this ?
42. GF Arrowroot (like cornstarch I supposse?)
43.Small amounts of guar gum (interesting…I thought that causes intestinal problems for people???)
And what can’t I eat? :
-gluten grains and their flours (wheat,
spelt, kamut, rye, barley)
-bread (even gluten-free)
-flour (even gluten-free flours)
-dairy products (including goat’s milk) SAD
-soy products (tamari, miso, tofu,
tempeh, soy milk, soy protein powder,
-corn (remember cornstarch)
-nightshade vegetables (potatoes,
tomatoes, peppers, eggplant)
-kiwi fruit, bananas
-all tree nuts and peanuts
-all beans (except for mung, lentil,
-alcohol (no problem there)
-caffeine- including no coffee or tea (not a problem)
-vanilla extract SAD
-vinegar (all types)
So does anyone have any suggestions, tips, recipes, etc? I need all the help I can get!!!
Why am I doing this again!? So I can find out once and for all, what bothers me (and what doesn’t), and what makes me the healthiest I can be and if sickness/problems I have go away if I don’t eat certain foods….
Ok…well leave me all the help you can and wish me luck! I’ll be starting it asap…as soon as I can possibly get my hands on that book and also as soon as I can figure out what to do about my dying blender……..any tips or help on that would be greatly appreciated too!